Jersey City has been my home since I was child, as a Jersey City girl I have seen the area grow and change into a powerhouse destination for food-lovers. The large amount of food establishments throughout the city often make choosing what to eat dizzying. You can get any type of food from nearly any part of the world in this diverse city. Here are some of my go-to eats throughout the city for those balling on a budget!
- Teri Teri located on Central Ave in the Heights is a Japanese restaurant specializing in teriyaki dishes. They have bowls for around $6 that include rice, your choice of meat, salad, 2 sushi pieces, and a drink. Their slushie bubble tea in coconut is amazing but remember to order it with your meal or call prior to arriving because they do make it by hand so it takes a little longer than the rest of their food.
2. Liberty Park Cafe Diner is a hidden gem of Downtown JC tucked away in Liberty State Park. This casual establishment has really good burgers and super cheesy disco fries. I went for the first time yesterday with some friends and had a great time!
3. Big Chef is a Chinese restaurant with awesome lunch specials: your choice of entree (I usually get chicken broccoli and white rice), miso soup, and a drink all for $8! This place has a really great sit-down feel without the crazy prices of the other downtown options.
4. Our Hero. I’m not sure what to write about Our Hero because there is nothing I can say that would sum up my love for this sandwich shop. The owners and employees are the sweetest and their sandwiches always fill me up! They’re also cash only and have a great relationship with students! My staple there is the 6 inch “Professor” sandwich with provolone, sour cream and onion chips, and a drink, all under $7!
5. Beechwood Cafe is a super cute brunch spot located down the block from the Mayor’s office downtown. They’re really affordable and they have a hip-feel to the place. Their marble tables are ideal for snapping all your dishes. Make sure to try the French Toast it’s super sweet and fluffy!
Make sure to tell me what’s your fave JC bite in the comments below!